Friday, March 9, 2012

MY SHOE RANT!!!!!

by Ta'Nashea McLeod


I am a military spouse and have been for the past 15 years. Needless to say we move quite a bit, about every 2 to 4 years. That being said we recently moved from overseas back to the United States of America. When the locals arrived to pack up our home in Japan, the middle aged man tasked with packing my closet gasped with disgust as I opened the door to reveal what was inside. When I went down stairs to check on my children I heard him call out for his co-workers to come see the number of shoes I had. I didn’t really think much about it because after my entire closet isn’t exactly Zen, Feng shui, or anything close to minimalistic for that matter. Which after being in Japan for 8 years I learned was the cultural way of life for most?
Fast forward about two months. We received the phone call that our ship had arrived. Literally! The boat with our things had finally docked. Do you know what this means? No more eating and sleeping on the floor. No more paper plates, no more living out of a suit case of heavenly rotated out fits, and more importantly for my husband football on the big screen, for my kids the mother load of toys and for me shoes glorious shoes! Now I could resume my weekly dress-up sessions. 

As the caravan of huge moving trucks pulled up to the house I could hardly compose myself. My husband was in a meeting at work so they tasked me with checking of the numbers as they carried in packages. This was not my idea of fun. Every time one of the guys would call out a box labeled shoes I wanted to run with my pink box cutter to the master suite and start opening boxes. Finally my husband arrived. I don’t even think that I gave him a chance to take off his uniform before I handed him the paperwork putting him in charge of checking off furniture. 
After a while the movers began to make jokes about how many boxes, bins, and packages of shoes I had. At first it was sort of funny. One guy said that “85 % of our shipment was shoes” another one said he had “moved people that lived in mansions and not seen so many shoes.” The more they joked the more my husband began to investigate my now deemed “shoe problem” for a second I began to feel bad and even think that I might really have a shoe problem.
Then reality set in. “I don’t have a shoe problem!!!” 
Let’s face it whether they are the latest $1500 Christian Louboutin or a $2 thrift store find, shoes are the ultimate pick me up. They lift our calves, butts, and our spirits!!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Shoes."They lift our calves, butts, and our spirits!!!! "..I love it ..=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly how I feel about mine too!

    ReplyDelete