Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fashion Illustrator: Dres Henri

By: Farrah Estrella

Dres Henri is a London based forward thinking, innovative & progressive Fashion Illustrator for up & coming designer labels, websites & magazines. He has been featured on numerous fashion websites and Blogs.
With many years of commercial experience of networking as a Fashion Illustrator (F.I.) under his belt, he is used to working with big portfolios and drawing fashionable illustrations from garments to accessories. 


Here is a Q& A with Dres Henri:
What has been the highlight of your illustration career so far?
Ithas to be recently working with LEVI's for a fashion magazine. I’ve done Menswear illustrations based on the Legendary Jeanswear brand summer casualwear collection.
How long have you been in the Fashion Industry?
I have been in the Fashion Industry for over 12 years now, I started off as a Fashion Designer for about 8 years then decided to work behind the scenes with my first love which is Illustration.

The Fashion Industry is such a broad field, why illustration?
Behind every great recording artist is a great producer. Every fashion collection starts with illustration designs. Besides all of that, my artwork is the main reason why I got into fashion college (London College of Fashion) in the first place.
What inspires your designs?
My artwork is inspired by all the elements of the earth including shapes, colors, music & people. It doesn't take much for me to start a new body clothing collection. For the most part, its mainly me competing with the man in the mirror, challenging myself to the next level.
What is your signature piece?
Despite the fact that I illustrate collections of clothes, I also have a whole new portfolio called “'Fashion Art” which consists of just Accessories. It has no color, just fine-line artwork and you can see it on my Facebook page.
Where can we find these pieces?
You can mostly find my pieces on fashion illustration websites like; Artists & Illustrators, NINETEEN74, Fashion Industry Networking & Facebook.
What is something that you cannot live without?
I cannot live without my pencil, pen & drawing pad.
Briefly walk us through your design process.
The process of my artwork usually starts with a rough sketch of a garment then gets develop into a illustrated collection.
What were you like in High School/University?
 I haven't changed much, I am still fun, vibrant & focused.
Describe your personal style?
I would say my personal style is clean & coordinated.
What would you say sets you apart from most Fashion Illustrators?
I'm defined by my page layouts which allows me to incorporate matching accessories, collaborated with smooth hand-drawn fine lines.
Tell us about the first thing you ever created
As a Fashion Designer, it was a dress for my first university course. As an Illustrator, it was a 1960's costume when I was on work-experience.
Do you have any words of encouragement or advice for future Fashion Illustrators?
Be inspired. Don't lose your focus. Keep updating your artwork on your website & on Fashion Illustration websites. Also interact with Bloggers & Art Directors to promote your artwork.
For more information on Dres Henri visit his website at www.Dresdecour.carbonmade.com or his Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/DresHenri.

3 comments: